Thursday, July 12, 2012

Finding Inspiration for Art ~ Just Look Around You

"Where does your inspiration come from?"

This past weekend I had the nicest couple over to my studio from a local gallery located out in our Temecula wine country.  They had come by to view my palette knife paintings for exhibit.  As they looked around at the paintings that I had on display, they asked the inevitable question that I get almost each time someone views my paintings in my presence; "How did you get the idea for this?  What was your inspiration?!?"  Now, since I am a humble, quietish gal, I always find it so tricky to answer this question on the spot.  I figured since it seems to be a popular question asked of me hundreds of times over by friends, family, clients and other artists, I would try to answer that question in general terms, here.


"Summer Red Poppies" Floral Palette Knife Painting by Christine
Basically, when I see something I think is beautiful, I stop for a moment and stare at it.  It truly is, almost as simple as that!  Since I was a little girl, I have always been asked during car rides, "Why are you so quiet, Chrissy?  Are you OK?"  Of course I am - I just sometimes get lost staring out at the scenery.  I get absorbed in how many colors are in grasses, how they are blowing, how the sunlight falls on trees and flowers and can create 5 different shades of one color.  If you look at my iPhone, there isn't just the typical photos of my kids, but random pictures of flowers I saw on a walk, butterflies on flowers at the zoo, or the sun on the hills behind the ranch my daughter rides horses at.  I get inspired throughout my days from the smallest, yet stunning things found all around us.  And, as we all know, the outdoors truly is amazing and beautiful.

"Hydrangea at Daybreak" SOLD painting - Available as Print


July Sunrise Over Temecula - from my patio
I am fortunate to live in a gorgeous part of Southern California.  From the ocean to the mountains... it is hard NOT to be inspired to capture beauty on canvas!  The weather is almost always perfect, and I am surrounded by beautiful vegetation and the rolling hills of wine country and vineyards.  The flowers here bloom practically year round!  One way I find inspiration is by waking up early, and sitting out back with my coffee.  I find that it is the most peaceful time of day.  As the sun rises, I get lost in my thoughts as I watch the light and shadows change on the hills, trees, grasses and flowers.  I love watching the sky with the wisps of clouds go from dark to light, and am so often amazed at the stunning colors that are found within a sunrise.  It is during these hours that I am often inspired of a new landscape or floral to begin painting.


"Stormy Breeze" White Flowers Palette Knife Painting by Christine Krainock


Temecula Wine Country Hot Air Balloons over Vineyards
I usually find that it can be the littlest things in my day which can inspire me.  For example, I happen to live extremely close to Temecula Valley Wine Country.  (If you are local, in CA, and you haven't come to visit, you should!  With our many award-winning wineries, restaurants, and Inns, it is a great little weekend getaway.)  Each morning I get to enjoy watching the hot air balloons rise up over the vineyards from both my patio, as well as from my studio window.  I always stop and stare for a moment.  The patterns and colors of the balloons in the sky are different every single day.  I am grateful I get to see them, I know not everyone gets to, and so I make it a point to stop what I'm doing just for a moment and look.  Something as simple as the 2 minutes I may watch them, can inspire an idea for a vineyard painting, or landscape, or just lift my mood to begin a new piece.

"Misty Morning" Hot Air Balloons over Wine Vineyards Painting, Contemporary Landscape, Palette Knife, AVAIL as Print
I truly believe, that not matter what it is that you create, inspiration can be found in the smallest, most "normal" things in life.  The things that many people unfortunately overlook.  The key to being inspired in whatever it is you do, is to take small moments to enjoy whatever it is that you love and find beautiful.  It is in your minds relaxed state of enjoyment that new creative ideas will flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment